Wednesday, May 17, 2017

CF Awareness Month Day 17 - My Savior

Taking this topic in its most literal sense, I gratefully proclaim that my ultimate savior is and always been Jesus Christ.  He has redeemed my broken soul, and provides comfort and assurance when all else in this world causes pain and makes no sense.   My life has some kind of purpose in his ultimate plan to reconcile all of creation to himself, and the promise that all things somehow work together for the good of those who love the Lord is a promise that gets me through the darkest times in life, which includes the moments I want to weep or scream in frustration about this disease.  Stating that I don't understand how it all works together is the understatement of the century - but through it all, the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies are new every morning, and He is faithful.

When interpreting the topic of "my savior" in a different way, though, the people that come to my mind are my parents and my husband.

My parents have always been amazing with me, especially when it comes to helping me deal with CF.  My mom, especially, is able to sympathize with me that my life has a lot of difficult challenges in it, and she never fails to encourage me when I am feeling low - however, she also is great about helping me keep the perspective that ALL people have challenges in their lives, that it's part of being human, and she reminds me that life can still be lived to the fullest no matter what our challenges are.

My sweet husband is my other "human savior."  Before I met him, I did not cope well with acknowledging my disease, especially to others.  I tried hard to hide it as much as possible.  Then he came along and loved me exactly the way I was, and gave me courage to acknowledge that CF is a part of my life and I should embrace it instead of ignoring and hiding it.  By learning to "embrace" the disease, I eventually was able to face it head-on, take stock of what I needed to do to beat it as long as I could, and get serious about being proactive and compliant with my treatments so that I could have as many years with my amazing hubby as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment