Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Prepping for the PICC Line

I'm currently sitting in the day surgery waiting room, "patiently" awaiting my turn to be led to a sterile room for an ever-exciting PICC line placement. I've had a four PICCs in the past, so this ain't exactly my first rodeo, but I still get a few nervous flutters thinking about the procedure.

A few weeks ago, I found myself in the position of not feeling BAD, but still not feeling great. After some debating, I decided it was time for some type of action before things really did get BAD (this proactive stance is actually pretty new for me). In the past, the source of most of my sickness and lung infections has been in my sinuses. SO, I decided it was time for the same surgery I had a year ago to clean those suckers out, coupled with a few weeks of IV antibiotics. This seemed to be the winning combo last year, so I'm hoping and praying it'll do the job again this time.

And so, here I am, waiting for the PICC people. I convinced my doctors that a hospital stay wasn't necessary, so both this procedure and the sinus surgery will be done as an outpatient. Come to think of it, I've never had a PICC put in when I wasn't already in the hospital...I'm hoping I'll be good to go as soon as it's done, because I have a lot of other things to get done today! We'll see.

Ok, now it's time to relax and get to my "happy place" before they come to poke at me. First, though, I'm going to spend a few moments lamenting the fact I didn't wake up early enough this morning to enjoy one last "normal" shower! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment